Monday, December 6, 2010

Funny Lookin' Fruit, Delicious Soup


When I first heard about butternut squash soup, I wasn't sure what to think.  Would it be bland?  Would it be slimy?  Or would it be great?  Something just kept telling me to give it a chance.  So, with the assistance of my lovely mom, we jumped head first into a new recipe adventure.  Now, let me just say, I my assumptions were completely wrong when it came to this odd looking squash.  This soup is delicious!




~Butternut Squash Soup~


3 T butter
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
2 medium skinned potatoes , diced
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
¼ cup orange juice
1 T orange zest
3 cups vegetable stock
1 ½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
½ cup dried cranberries


Melt the butter in a large pot on medium, then add the onion.  Stir to coat the onion in the butter and let cook until it starts to soften.  Add the diced potatoes and squash and stir again.  Let cook another 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
Add orange juice, zest and vegetable stock.  Stir and cover the pot.  Let simmer for 30 minutes.
Use an immersion blender or a Cuisinart to blend the vegetables into a nice thick and creamy soup.  Once blended, add salt and pepper, tasting as you go.
Ladle soup into individual mugs or bowls and sprinkle with dried cranberries.


Makes 5-7 servings