Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Call Me a Hippie, but I Love Granola



I have always loved granola, but the high fat content and calories always deterred me from eating it.  When my sweet boyfriend got some granola as a housewarming gift from his new neighbors, I got inspired to create my own "healthi-fied" granola recipe!


~Crunchy Granola
6 cups rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup coconut
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash salt
6 T honey 
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup craisins
2 T brown sugar
1/2 cup almond milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan, mix honey, almond milk, and brown sugar over medium heat until combined.  In a bowl, combine oats, nuts, coconut, cinnamon, salt and mixture from the saucepan. Place on a sheet pan and put in oven. Bake for 30 minutes or a little longer, stirring occasionally. 
Remove pan from oven and add raisins. Cool on a rack, stirring once in a while until granola reaches room temperature. Transfer to a sealed container.

Enjoy on top of granola, with milk, or just sneaking it from the container!