Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Revamped Cake Mix Cupcakes







I have always loved any sweet that is made from scratch.  I'm not going to lie, I have been known to turn up my nose at break and bake cookies and cake mixes.  Whew, I'm glad to get that off my chest!  Well, that is not the case anymore.  My palette has evolved... and I have discovered this new recipe!  Enjoy!

~Revamped Cake Mix Cupcakes

1 box of yellow cake mix
Eggs called for on the box +1 egg
Substitute the oil called for on box with the same amount of melted butter
Substitute the water called for on the box with the same amount of buttermilk

I know it sounds difficult, but trust me, it's easy!  Combine all of the ingredients and beat for 2 minutes. Poor into lined muffin tins or a greased cake pan. Bake according to the instructions on the box.  Test with a toothpick and then allow to cool!

While you are waiting for your confections to cool, whip up some of this awesome buttercream icing!



~Awesome Buttercream Icing


1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup real butter
1 1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
1 dash salt
5 cups confectioners' sugar
2 -3 tablespoons milk

Cream butter and shortening; then add vanilla and salt. Add sugar a cup at a time beating on medium speed. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time and beat on high until completely blended.